School Privacy Statement
Confidentiality of Student Records
(Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974)
- To Columbia College professional personnel with legitimate educational interest in students.
- To an agency of the government which may require records in connection with legal or judicial matters.
- In connection with a studentís application for or receipt of financial aid.
- In relation to the studentís health or safety emergency needs.
- On behalf of educational agencies or institutions for the purpose of developing, validating, or administering predictive tests, student aid programs, or improvement of instruction, provided such studies are conducted in a way which does not identify individual students.
- To accrediting organizations in order to carry out their accrediting functions.
- To parents of a dependent as defined for income tax purposes.
- In addition to the above exceptions, directory information may be released to a third party without the written consent of the student. Directory information is defined as including a studentís name, address, e-mail address, telephone number, participation in extracurricular activities, dates of attendance, major field of study, academic honors, and degree awarded. Students may submit a request in writing to the Registrar that directory information may not be released. (Students wishing to have directory information omitted from the annual Campus Directory must submit a written request to the Registrar by July 31 each academic year.
RELEASE OF STUDENT INFORMATION
Columbia College may provide directory information in accordance with the provision of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 without the written consent of an eligible student unless it is requested in writing that such information not be disclosed. The items listed below are designated as Directory information and may be released on any student for any purpose at the discretion of the College unless a written request for non-disclosure is on file in the Office of the Registrar.
- Category I: Name, address, e-mail, telephone number, dates of attendance, class.
- Category II: Previous institution attended, major field of study, awards, honors, degree conferred.
Students who wish to request non-disclosure of the above items must complete the appropriate form available from the Office of the Registrar and return the form to the Office of the Registrar no later that July 31 prior to the fall semester each academic year.
Location and Security of Student Records
Type of Information Responsibility for Security
- Academic: Office of Registrar Registrar
- Alumnae: Office of Alumnae Relations Exec. Dir. Of Alumnae Relations
- Non-Academic Records: Office of Student Affairs Dean of Students
- Institutional Testing: Office of the Registrar Registrar
- Placement Files: Career Center Director of Career Center
- Residence Halls: Office of Student Affairs Director of Residence Life
- Medical: Health Center Directory of Health Services
- Student Accounts: Office of Business Affairs V.P. for Finance
- Praxis Scores: Department of Education Department Chairperson